Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Lifted Wranger X

26K views 117 replies 48 participants last post by  MrHayden73 
#1 · (Edited)
Lifted Wrangler X

Yesterday was an experience. I woke up early in the morning and headed to work for an ample supply of tools and the forklift. I got started around 8:00am. The goal for the day was a Rusty's 2" suspension lift paired with a BL and MML (also Rusty's).

I decided the suspension would be the easiest so that went last. First on the agenda was the BL. It took an hour to get the spacers in.

For the relocation bracket, I decided to go ahead and notch the top as described here http://www.4x4xplor.com/bl.html.
After the notch was in, I noticed the relocation bracket holes didn't align to the linkage bushing or the tub mount. I had to grind out the notch, and egg the four bolt holes so everything would fit. Once everything was ground down it went in without a problem.
Next came the MML. I had a feeling this would be the worst part and I was right. The mounts went in with little trouble but the T-case shifted forward so much that I could not shift. For 2nd, 4th, and R I could not move the shifter back far enough to catch the gear. I eventually added 6-7 washers under the T-case to get everything lined up.

Once the T-case fit right, I noticed the MML pulled the exhaust up to the upper control arm bracket and it would rattle LOUDLY. I eventually bought a dremmel and ground down the bracket. Now it will occasional hit for a moment, usually in 1st or R.
So then came the coil lift. Had a little forklift help.

I was right that the coil lift would be easy. Finally at 3:00pm everything was done.
Here are a few before and after shots.

I'm working on a tire carrier. Once that's done the spare will be swapped with a 33 too.

For the record the tires are 33x1250r15 BFG AT KO. The wheels are Cragar Soft 8 with 4 inch BS. The lift is a Rusty's 2 inch coil (gained 2.5 easy), and Rusty's BL & MML.

Thanks to 4x4xplor.com for the how-to's. Couldn't have done it without you.

Words of advice, do the alignment after the install. I didn't and s#@t myself when I got the death wobble. Invest in a rear trac bar relocation bracket. Even at 2 inches my rear shifted more than I'd like (1" - 1.5" passenger). Have a dremmel handy for when the MML throws everything out of whack.

See less See more
#5 ·
looks great!!:thumbsup: I was gonna ask about the rear track bar....is it REALLY off THAT much? 1" to 1.5"!!!! DAMN!! Did you measure it or is that an estimate? I put a yard stick level on the side of the tire and measured the distance between the stick and the flare.

BTW Nice forklift!!! That's the coolest jack I've ever seen!!:rofl:

oh and how long did it take you to do a MML and BL? easy?

#9 ·
gUanoTJ said:
For the mml how did you jack up the motor? Did you use a floor jack under the oil pan? I am planning on doing this myself in the next couple weeks and don't know the best way to lift the engine.
2x4 and oil pan with a regular floor jack. As you lift the motor the rest of the Jeep with go with it until it comes free. Lift slowly and watch for the motor to release. Once you have it in, take a look at your exhaust and the right upper control arm. When I lifted my motor to pulled the exhaust forward. I had to grind down the control arm and bracket. Follow the instructions on 4x4xplor.com and it will go pretty smooth. Do you have a manual? If so make sure your T-case doesn't shift too much forward or it will be impossible to go into all the back gears (2,4,R).

#11 ·
willydigger said:
Most of that was tweaking the relocation bracket.
what did you have to "tweak" with the bracket? Who's bracket did you use?

#14 ·
That looks damn good!!!! I sure wish I had a forklift to complete my install. Oh well, that is what beer is for to make you forget that it should only take that long (like you did). Damn I need some 33's!!!

Good job! It is so much more rewarding doing things yourself. :thumbsup:

Just noticed: Get your wheel weights moved insde, much better looking and will work almost the exact same as outside.

Just noticed again: Remove one wheel at a time and paint where the center caps should be. I used Krylon fusion and it matches the wheels exatcly.

#15 ·
willydigger said:
Once the T-case fit right, I noticed the MML pulled the exhaust up to the upper control arm bracket and it would rattle LOUDLY. I eventually bought a dremmel and ground down the bracket. Now it will occasional hit for a moment, usually in 1st or R.
So then came the coil lift. Had a little forklift help.
I've been looking for a jack like that for years, how much does a jack like that run ya :laugh:

Jeep looks good man :thumbsup:

How do you like those tires? I'm trying to save up for a set of those or some cheap muds, can't make up my mine :brickwall

#17 ·
Rocky5 said:
what did you have to "tweak" with the bracket? Who's bracket did you use?
The bracket was the Tcase relocation bracket that came with the Rusty BL. I had to egg the bolt holes because the brass bushing on the Tcase link wasn't flush with the holes pre-drilled. I also notched the top like 4x4xplor recommended. Didn't know if I needed to or not, but went ahead anyway.

#18 · (Edited)
BlueJ said:
That looks damn good!!!! I sure wish I had a forklift to complete my install. Oh well, that is what beer is for to make you forget that it should only take that long (like you did). Damn I need some 33's!!!

Good job! It is so much more rewarding doing things yourself. :thumbsup:

Just noticed: Get your wheel weights moved insde, much better looking and will work almost the exact same as outside.

Just noticed again: Remove one wheel at a time and paint where the center caps should be. I used Krylon fusion and it matches the wheels exatcly.
Just a note, beer and forklifts don't mix. One or the other not both. :rofl:
The wheels have weights on the inside and outside. I'm going to paint the outer weights to make them less noticeable.
Finally I used the butter cup center cap idea floating around on the boards.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=674162&mode=threaded
A little Country Crock and some black gloss Fusion and all is well with the center cap. I would have left them be, but I didn't like the front bearing exposed. The prior pic doesn't show the butter cups on the back wheel. I'll update with new pics in a day or so. I have a home made tire carrier to show off too. :wave:

#20 ·
YJ_ said:
I've been looking for a jack like that for years, how much does a jack like that run ya :laugh:

Jeep looks good man :thumbsup:

How do you like those tires? I'm trying to save up for a set of those or some cheap muds, can't make up my mine :brickwall
The AT's are big and quiet. They are pretty aggressive for AT's too. They won't do well in mud. They aren't cheap though. I paid $132 ea. at Sears in Baltimore. Final price was like $750. I really didn't care at that point. I made up my mind I was going to do it and convinced the old lady to let me.

#23 ·
Just a quick update on the lift a few weeks after. The washers I put in between the Tcase and the skid plate are gone. I still have the washers between the Tcase and the Tcase bracket. I pulled apart my console on the interior and there was a screw holding the console secure under the shifter boot. I removed the screw, slid the console over to the right a hair and reinserted the screw in the mounting hole so it wouldn't slip back. This moved the console back enough to let me remove the washers and still let me shift in the back gears.

Here is the before:

Here is the after:

Here are a couple pics of where the console screw is tweaked.

Finally, I ordered a Rear Trac-bar Relocation Bracket. Two weeks after the lift was installed and after installing a 250lb bumper the rear end sagged enough to even things out. I don't plan on installing the bracket.

#25 ·
TXST8tj said:
that's a nice looking homemade rear bumper!
Thanks. I originally went with the 400# toggle clamp. It broke. I upped it to the 2000# clamp. It's much better now.

A new pic! A few days ago I found out what the little black bumpstops were for that came with the lift. Originally I thought they were rear bumpstops, but since they were so small I figured it couldn't be. I tossed them in my leftover box until the other day. It turns out they are part of the BL and replace the small bumpstops on either side of the grill.

I don't know how critical they are. A ran without them for months. I had to put them in once I found out where they go. Anyway hope it helps other newbies. I'll update with some more pics when it stops raining. I just noticed I don't have any topless/doorless pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.