Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Commando with 35" tires

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RKBA 
#1 ·
:confused: I have a buddy that wants me to put new axles (probably Waggy) under his Commando and wants to put 35" tires on it when we are done. Do not want SOA or link suspension.

Does anybody have input on this. I would like to get by with as little lift and as little metal cutting as possible. Trying to get an idea how high it will need to be and what springs are good. I have done several other Jeeps including linked rock crawlers so I am not a beginner but I have never done a Commando and would like to get some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Commandos are one of the hardest jeeps to do a lift on due to the fact the springs are under the axel. I have 32's on mine and the barely fit. I dont know if 35 will fit with out a SOA. You are gonna have to to cut the body to get them to fit. Mine has a body lift and the leaf's I had to goto a special place to have new ones built with more arch.

here is some pictures to give you an idea

personaly I would look into smaller tires, I am not to happy with my 32's but I got them at a good deal so I cant complain.

#5 ·
Well what do you mean by "most jeeps". Most jeeps dont use leaf springs. The SOA conversion makes the jeep very bouncy in the rear end and not a perferred method for lifting. But if you are looking to stuff 35 in there it prob about the only way to go, or some serious fender cutting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.