Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep Hurricane

9K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  mrsnowmann360 
#1 ·
I'm really surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but I have to say. I'm impressed.

Stock 37'in wheels! An absolute zero turning radius?!?

See less See more
#4 ·
I Would Buy One!

#7 ·
ChRRRiS said:
omg if you could get the wheels to all spin the same way your could do circles REALLY REALLY FAST!!!
How else do you think it has a turning radius of 0, if the wheel don't sping the same way?

#8 ·
That has been posted multiple times. Most often in the General Discussion.

Hunter

#13 ·
draxxuspainter8 said:
lets all put money together and well buy a jeep forum one. Well take turns!

hahah i just wanna spin in circles
go water ur street down in winter and put ur truck in 2wd and floor it while turning whala saves u 11 million dollars, minus water and wreckless driving ticket and gas.

while this vehicle looks cool, why pay that much money when u can make urself one for 10million 500,000 4 cents cheaper?:rofl:

#19 ·
yarosig said:
What kind of axle is this?
The way i understand it there are no axles as such, there are two engines, both hemi's which power a central transfer case/ transmission with left and right outputs for front and rear... the drive shafts are inside the long link arms that move the wheels up and down, so the power goes from engine to middle to side to front, i cant post pictures or i would sketch it out for you.

There is also a steering set up on each wheel so it can turn them independantly, the TC output can be adjusted to rotate the hurricane in a circle when the wheels are turned correctly. or to allow it to crab scuttle to the side if need be.

WHile the Hurricane will never see production, you will see some of the engineering on Jeeps in about 8 years. FOr instance you might see the central TC/tranny with the independantly powered wheels, or the 4 wheel steering.

#20 ·
I already bought one!

Too bad it's only 1/64 scale... :p

#23 · (Edited)
Technically to get this set up to work you would have to get the following goals achieved before it works:

1) You only need one engine to make the setup work, power is not going to be an issue here so any good availiable powerplant would do the work

2) You have to install a front axle in the back wheels to be able to make the wheels head in the requiered direction, no big deal here either

3) You need to install separate steering units for the right side and the left side in each axle so that they can steer independently in the following directions but check the alternatives that each demands and make your choice:

[*]normal driving
back axle is fixed in straight position and front wheels turn to the same side simultaneouslyas in any existing vehicle

[*]sideways driving
front and back axle wheels turn to the same side that way the car advances forward or backwards to the right/left side in a parallel way to the direction of travel

[*]circle turning with out vehicle travel (0 displacement of its axis)
front and back axles turn to opposite sides so that wheels describe a circle when power is applied, this also requieres that the wheels turn in opposite directions in each axle

[*]short circle turning
front and back axles turn in opposite directions (both wheels in each axle turn to the same side) that way the vehicle describes a VERY short radius of turn like the ones achived by big rough terrain cranes, all the wheels turn in the same direction.

As you can see only the 0 advance option requieres opposite turning of the wheels and opposite rotation of the wheels, the other options are achieved very easily with jyst a second steereable axis in the back, just like the mentioned cranes, just make sure your back axle steering will be blocked over certain speed or a really dangerous vehicle will be in circulation.

4) If you spin by hand one wheel of a raised axle the other will spin freely in the opposite direction then you have two options either develop some type of locking mechanism that makes this "natural" opposite spinning work under load or in the opposite way make an UNLOCKER that lets one wheel in each axle to spin freely and then the turning will be achieved by just two wheels powered and the other two in free spinning position.

The rest of the vehicle is achieved by just looks, raised axles and big tyres which I have seen are much more aggresive in many member owned vehicles who participate in this forum.

If I had access to the parts I would try to build one here in Lima/Peru 'cause I have the facilities but no one scraps parts for Jeeps around here they are too cherished for that.

If someone out there thinks its worth it to make a try I will jump in with the experiment.

Regards

Marcelo/SACEM
sacem@viabcp.com

#24 ·
sacem@viabcp.co said:
Technically to get this set up to work you would have to get the following goals achieved before it works:

1) You only need one engine to make the setup work, power is not going to be an issue here so any good availiable powerplant would do the work

2) You have to install a front axle in the back wheels to be able to make the wheels head in the requiered direction, no big deal here either

3) You need to install separate steering units for the right side and the left side in each axle so that they can steer independently in the following directions but check the alternatives that each demands and make your choice:

[*]normal driving
back axle is fixed in straight position and front wheels turn to the same side simultaneouslyas in any existing vehicle

[*]sideways driving
front and back axle wheels turn to the same side that way the car advances forward or backwards to the right/left side in a parallel way to the direction of travel

[*]circle turning with out vehicle travel (0 displacement of its axis)
front and back axles turn to opposite sides so that wheels describe a circle when power is applied, this also requieres that the wheels turn in opposite directions in each axle

[*]short circle turning
front and back axles turn in opposite directions (both wheels in each axle turn to the same side) that way the vehicle describes a VERY short radius of turn like the ones achived by big rough terrain cranes, all the wheels turn in the same direction.

As you can see only the 0 advance option requieres opposite turning of the wheels and opposite rotation of the wheels, the other options are achieved very easily with jyst a second steereable axis in the back, just like the mentioned cranes, just make sure your back axle steering will be blocked over certain speed or a really dangerous vehicle will be in circulation.

4) If you spin by hand one wheel of a raised axle the other will spin freely in the opposite direction then you have two options either develop some type of locking mechanism that makes this "natural" opposite spinning work under load or in the opposite way make an UNLOCKER that lets one wheel in each axle to spin freely and then the turning will be achieved by just two wheels powered and the other two in free spinning position.

The rest of the vehicle is achieved by just looks, raised axles and big tyres which I have seen are much more aggresive in many member owned vehicles who participate in this forum.

If I had access to the parts I would try to build one here in Lima/Peru 'cause I have the facilities but no one scraps parts for Jeeps around here they are too cherished for that.

If someone out there thinks its worth it to make a try I will jump in with the experiment.

Regards

Marcelo/SACEM
sacem@viabcp.com
The Hurricane does not use solid axles, if you look closley you can see 2 differential housings(are they called diffs if they only power one wheel?) in the rear. The power delivery is through a very advanced Transfer case which can send power to the right wheels forward and the left wheels backwards. The two engines are just so you get 800 or more HP.(and to prove they could) There is no question that the Hurricane is more off-road capable(particularily high speed) than any other single product. The price tag is normal for a custom built show quality running prototype. A production version (which wont happen) would cost less than 100k and would probably sell to high speed off-road racing types first.

But seriously, its a test bed vehicle meant to try out a bunch of ideas that the jeep engineers where kicking around. The central TC, the 4-wheel steering, the combo driveshaft/link bar, these are all very produceable. I would not expect to see any production Jeep with 2 HEMI engines though.....imagine the mileage.....4mpg maybe.......1mpg off road........

#25 ·
I read so much enthusiasm on this rig that I was not trying to reproduce the vehicle but its driving characteristics and making it a little more achiveable for any nut that needs a 0 radius of turning.

But it would be indeed a very nice technical achivement to buid it and make it work.

I like that type of thing

Regards

Marcelo/SACEM

#26 ·
If it could be made affordible we all would have one. I would eat mac & cheese for a year so I could have one for around 25.000 or less ( nice to dream):drool: :drool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.