Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

YJ worklog

184K views 683 replies 133 participants last post by  Louie4 
#1 ·
Hey everyone iam beginning to start to work on my yj and figured some people would want to see, and learn some things maybe. Any who i got a 1993 yj 4 banger i bought back in march, 148,xxx miles, very little rust. new tires,clutch,bestop,ect.
here it is when i got it after a little bit of wheelin

the bad:
windshield frame rusting
drives floor pan rusting
clear coat is coming off the hood

Plans:
4 inch RE lift
pro comp mud terrains
snorkel
lights
warn front bumper
new sound system
herculine
what ever eles i have cash for

Ill be updating this with the progress with plenty pics for you all

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds like you gotta plan dude...but there are always those unpleasant surprises...have you ever thought of MORE greasable shackles...its not a bad way to spend 140 bucks for front and rear. www.northridge4x4.com has the lowest prices i've found so far, and the shackles are 5/8" lift. you may also need to consider investing in an SYE kit if you don't want to run a 1 or 2 inch t-case drop.

#3 ·
mean90yj said:
sounds like you gotta plan dude...but there are always those unpleasant surprises...have you ever thought of MORE greasable shackles...its not a bad way to spend 140 bucks for front and rear. www.northridge4x4.com has the lowest prices i've found so far, and the shackles are 5/8" lift. you may also need to consider investing in an SYE kit if you don't want to run a 1 or 2 inch t-case drop.
yes sir iam planning on mores oh i forgot to mention ill be using a SYE and tom woods drive shaft. I should have money left over for shackles i hope

#4 ·
i can save you a little money on the tom woods, actually like 200 bucks. Go and find the front driveshaft out of the newest cherokee XJ you can find, i paid 50 bucks for mine. Then take it to a driveshaft shop and have it cut and balanced to the proper length once you have your SYE in, costed me 58 bucks for this. Ended up saving me like 200 bucks so i don't need to buy a tom woods driveshaft, and its just as strong, some say they have heard of more woody shafts breaking then XJ's...something to consider.

#5 ·
mean90yj said:
Check Mountain Off Road Enterprises, (MORE) for the boomerang 5/8'' lift with whatever bushings you need 1 1/4'' or 1 1/2'' with greaseable 9/16'' bolts for $86.99 a set Front or Rear. always try to buy direct. $184.87 delivered to my door. Good luck

#8 ·
Small Paul said:
Check Mountain Off Road Enterprises, (MORE) for the boomerang 5/8'' lift with whatever bushings you need 1 1/4'' or 1 1/2'' with greaseable 9/16'' bolts for $86.99 a set Front or Rear. always try to buy direct. $184.87 delivered to my door. Good luck
those are the ones i bought, except i got them for 40 bucks cheaper, and northridge had them to my door in a week, which is very respectable considering it came from Washington state.

#10 ·
Small Paul said:
mountain offroad has an agreement with thier retailers, meaning that more cant undersell the shops they sell to!
everything mountain offroad sells is available at northridge4x4.com the same parts only cheaper..compare and see for yourself.
most manufacturers have this agreement, otherwise they wouldn't be able to get and keep retailers for the products they make. so 99% of the time, its cheaper to goto a retailer than the manufacturer....and the warranty is exactly the same.

martin

#11 ·
I got a new windsheild frame, ill put that in this weekend if i figure out how to get all the windshield wiper **** off. I also bought and installed pioneer head unit and speaker. Pics tomarrow.

#14 ·
joe's_yj said:
mean 90 yj where did you get your xj front drive shaft? thanks
I got mine out of a u-pull it junk yard. I believe it was a late 90's XJ. 40 bucks for mine...

#16 ·
#17 ·
finally got my lift after 1 month of waiting, still installing it heres some pics

here it is before the lift.

new meats, 33 inch mickey Thompson's with a 17 inch wheel, straight trade for my stock tires

stock front drivers side leaf pb'ed

More later

#18 ·
i finished it i have lots of pictures is anyones intrested i can get better pics of the finished product if anyone wants to see more

#19 ·
^ Nice! Amazing what a little lift and some new meats will do to the overall look of a Jeep.

I was stupid and replaced my old stock leafs with new stock, but being in college and broke I couldn't afford a lift, shocks, tires, etc.

However, got hit by a drunk driver this summer. Hoping I can spend a little cash on my Jeep next summer. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
Forgot about this thread, iam going to try and keep it updated from now on, comments are apperciated. Took it wheeling over the summer, after the lift 3 hour drive both ways, didnt brake a thing. no pictures from auctual ride(friend has them) but heres some aftermath

#23 ·
[QUOTE='99xjlimited]looks good man, where are you on your mods list now?[/QUOTE]
its getting shorter, nothing major to the suspention but in this order
Front boomarngs-greasable
kc lights
winch
dana 44 or 8.8
but i installed my cb radio, forgot to post that up. heres a interior picture. My dash is cracked because the radio was stolen, i would like another one but cant find it in spice.

Took some pictures while installing the boomarangs

i know you all like pictures so enjoy

#24 ·
I also installed a new windshield from from quadratec. i stripped out two bolts so i need to find 2 or 3 more so it doesnt look so crappy. my old windshield frame was rusty and ****ty so i replaced it. heres some pictures of before and after.

Heres the old frame

New frame

Looking good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.