Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

73 CJ5 Built

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jayhawkclint 
#1 ·
I picked up this CJ about three weeks ago. It is completely torn apart and was in 10 or 15 boxes. I'm in school right now so I'll be working on this whenever at home. Since I am in school there is a budget to this. I think it can be back together and running for about $1500 if I keep it very stock, which I plan on.

What I'm starting with:
-Fiberglass tub, hood, and fenders
-Metal Windshield frame (no rust) and grill (bad condition)
-Very clean freshly painted frame
-Dana 44 / Dana 30 (Warn lockout hubs)
-Partially rebuilt engine, will be using another one for now
-T14a
-Dana 20
-Power steering
-2.5" lift springs
-Newer fuel tank
-Worn out 31's

Bigger things that need to be done:
-Decide on drivetrain, I have a T176/Dana 300, but will require new driveshafts since the T176/Dana 300 is longer. Cost is my delima
-Brake and Fuel lines, I plan on doing them myself
-Flip tie rod or different springs
-Find and rebuild a weber carb, currently has a carter
-Find a replacement grill
-Mount body (new frame does not have holes drilled for the body)
-Rebuild tranny and transfer case
-Start putting everything back together
-Paint body after it runs/drives

Pictures taken about 1 1/2 years ago before it was torn down:

Cleaned and painted frame:

Cleaned and painted engine block:

Boxes of Jeep parts:

Before and after painting:

The problem I have with the tie rods in their stock location in that there is no clearence between then and the spring (bolts aren't tight, but it don't help much)

Before putting the T176/Dana 300 in:

See less See more
#2 ·
When I put the running 258/T176/Dana 300 in place I realized my current rear driveshaft is to long:

This is what I have for now. Once I figure out which tranny/transfer case I want to use I'll be able to bring them here to rebuild.

Let me know any opinions, ideas, or thoughts you have.

#5 ·
krazyzigzagger said:
My tie rods are that close and have never touched. It my be because everything moves as a unit and don't get any closer, or farther away. I would vote for the T176 and D300 combination.
The driver side tie rod can not be bolted in because its so close (in the picture it is not bolted in). I think with the current springs I have to flip the tie rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.